Saturday, November 10, 2012

Soul Train

I have stayed out of the theatre for a while since my last performance 3 years ago; I tried looking for opportunities to be on stage, but they just didn't fit well to my always-flying-across-the-pacific-ocean schedule. This fall at my school, I decided to join the fall play- Pullman Car Hiawatha by Thornton Wilder.

The play ended in claps and cheers as well as in queries. Pullman Car Hiawatha is set on a train travelling from New York to Chicago in the 1930s. It depicts the lives of about a dozen individuals, including people and objects like "the field", who all have their own problems and obsessions. In the middle of the play, the scene transform to beyond the train in the universe, where the sun, planets, and arch angels appear. Though highly symbolic, this play is beautiful and represents the souls of being (our cast decided "soul train" would best describe the play). 

As the porter and workman of the play, I was at first clueless about my roles. Luckily, I was able to grasp hold of the characters before the show and add my own twist to bring the house down and "play". Until being on stage again, I did not realize I've missed owning the spotlight. 

Thanks to this girl, my make-up got done!
Our Cast

No comments:

Post a Comment